Wednesday, July 23, 2008

You look good to me.

Once upon a time, a man whom I'd gone round and round with said those words to me. Said those words not with the flippancy you'd first think, but with an earnestness in voice and eye that said it wasn't me, that it was him behind our random walk of flirtation and unreturned phone calls. Kissing in his car while the snow fell outside and then not seeing him for months, it was his issues and hang-ups at work, not mine. I saw this and I smiled. Not being one for gracefully accepting compliments, I probably laughed it off. Deep down, however, I was gratified. Here was a man who smiled when he saw me, thought I was fascinating, and to whom I looked good. Suddenly it didn't matter that we would never get together; it was enough for me to hear those words and know he meant them.

Every woman should have that at least once.

I'm holding out for number two...

No comments: