Monday, July 21, 2008

The Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day

In honor of the "less is more" philosophy of life:

It was so hot and humid this morning that I had to remind myself that I'd chosen to live in this swamp. My neighbor's mulch smelled like poo. I couldn't get on the first two red line trains that pulled into the station. A (male) co-worker told me I looked exhausted. I spent five minutes pressing cool fingers under my eyes - were there bags there? I bolted out of the office realizing I'd just make it to the dry cleaners on time. Forty minutes later I was three Metro stops from my office, and an hour and forty-five minutes later I was above ground in my neighborhood, the dry cleaners long closed, feeling stale, starving, and now, exhausted. I had scowled at a little girl on the train. All told, with a quick trip through CVS for toilet paper and a stop at the neighborhood pizza joint for a slice to eat in the tub, it took me two hours and fifteen minutes to get from my office to my home. The maintenance guy had been in my house; he didn't leave a note, but I have a new drain in my tub. I shrugged, turned on the water, shoved a bite of pizza in my mouth, and proceeded to leave clothes all around the apartment - I'll deal with them tomorrow.

No comments: