Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rainbows.

I don't do well in large stores. I don't like to shop under the best of circumstances, but put me in a department store or all-purpose place like Target, and I pretty quickly go into sensory overload. I don't know why exactly; is it the people who stand too close to look at the same item, the noise, the sheer abundance of choices to make, or the bright colors of all the things you hadn't come to buy? Unclear, but once the meltdown starts there are only two paths. The first is immediate escape, often without whatever it was I had gone in to buy - away from the people, the lights, and all of it. The second option is the overshop. I take too long, meander, and end up with things I don't need and can't always justify. This is what happened to me today when I entered Target to buy two plastic file boxes. That's it, that's all I needed. Suddenly I remembered that I needed new headphones for my iPod. Then I passed an end cap and remembered, I've been meaning to pick up some cd/dvd envelopes. And the grocery store didn't have the face soap I really like, so I'll check to see if it's here. The first season of Arrested Development was only 19$, so into the cart. I found myself strangely drawn to a short-sleeve sweatshirt with a flowery "Cambridge" printed on the front. I've made fun of short-sleeve sweatshirts in my head for months, but this one I could not resist. And pajama pants with rainbows on them.

But really? I needed those. I mean, seriously. Rainbows.

2 comments:

Momola said...

Please tell me the sweatshirt isn't pink. And "Cambridge"? You didn't live there.

Astrowahoo said...

It is not pink, and I cannot explain it. Impulse buys transcend reasoning. It was cute, it looked comfy, and I wanted it. So there.