Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Only mathematicians...

Once again I found myself in a room surrounded by mathematicians and engineers. This time it wasn't beaches and ocean waters outside the meeting room, but the hustle and bustle of New York City, and all the people watching that goes along with it. Staring at equations, I found myself thinking many times, "only mathematicians." Only mathematicians schedule a two-day workshop for Friday and Saturday. In New York City.

So OK. I had my nights off dinner plans made. I could make it through. I was hopping the train at the end of the day Saturday so that I could have Sunday at home and breakfast with the boys. But back on point.

Only mathematicians still use slides and an overhead projector. He'd even written additional notes by hand with a marker. He stood up there looking like Geoffrey's Marmoset and talking so earnestly about Fourier domains. There was also the engineer who poked himself in the nose with the expandable pointer. He was absolutely shocked when it happened, too. I'm not sure why, I saw it coming.

But my absolute favorite is when academics are accidentally dirty while giving a talk. It happens more often than you'd think. Either that or I think about sex entirely too often - also a possibility. This time it was, "if you push me hard, you might not like the answers I give, but if you stroke me softly, you'll be more satisfied." I find myself looking around at these moments to see if anyone else has caught the double entendre. I'm generally alone. Probably for the best - if I caught another knowing eye I'd laugh out loud. And I don't laugh softly.

No comments: