Wednesday, August 27, 2008

only somewhat pink...

If you've never been to Block Island, well, then get on the boat. I flew Friday afternoon/evening back to the east coast, where I promptly fell asleep to visions of vacation. Saturday morning there were crepes in Coolidge Corner and familiar streets to travel, but don't let me vanish into the bookstore, because I had a train to catch. Train and ferry caught, I found myself standing in the sunshine on a breezy island that is all that you imagine small New England beaches to be. It was glorious. Neeners, JanemyJane, and Jane's man Dean and I basked in the glory of nothing to do and nowhere to be. We splashed in the water, played lasso-golf, and read in our beach chairs. I got a little pink, which is why I'm all covered up in the picture. Dean bbq-ed while we drank white wine and played cards. We drove to scenic overviews and stared at animals that one doesn't expect on a New England island (kangaroo??). We laughed, told stories, and laughed some more. It was brilliant. Tuesday found me well-rested and looking forward to finishing the week traipsing about Boston. Rediscovering favorite haunts and tastes I've missed, catching up with old friends. I reversed the ferry and train journey yesterday, made my way back to Eric and Annie's home, pet that cat, and then went for a walk involving a pedicure (beach feet), a coffee, and that bookstore I hadn't let myself venture into on Saturday. I love vacation.

No comments: