Thursday, August 21, 2008

Golden Gate Gone

I've been to San Francisco many times. There were the days after a BIMA observing run (telescope time requires a little recovery in the real world), the afternoon after Annie and Eric's wedding with Em, Brec, and Matthew, and a meeting in January. All told I think I've been in this town almost two weeks, and while the hunt was not continuous, I've never seen the Golden Gate Bridge. I don't think it exists.

I mentioned this to a friend here at Stanford, before he drove up for dinner last night. "Done," he said, "bring your camera." I did, but the city was against me. Fog rolled in yesterday afternoon, and by the evening when we drove up to the base I could see the base of one piling. It didn't stop a gaggle of tourists from taking pictures in front of the fog, though, which in and of itself may have been worth the trip...

No comments: