Monday, August 11, 2008

Ohio, oh, my, oh.

I spent yesterday traveling - that's right, it took me 7 hours to make a trip that involved a one hour plane ride. Living the car-free live, I'm used to trips taking longer than they would otherwise. The market is only half a mile from my house, but when I'm making the trip with my granny cart we're talking 15 to 30 min, depending on sidewalk construction and how laden down my little cart is. I went to the doctor for a check-up on Friday, that's a solid half-hour walk with traffic lights and such, and that's not a full mile. These are trips on foot, as well. Add in public transportation, and my life just moves slower than people who drive. I don't usually mind this, but when a slow train causes me to miss a bus I should have made, I get a little annoyed. Get to the station, dump the strange people who talk to me despite my attempts to ignore them, and get moving. I wasn't annoyed at missing the bus to BWI at the time, actually, but all of my travel yesterday was delayed. I got on the plane and we pulled away from the gate only to sit on the tarmac for over an hour because thunderstorms to the west made a mess of flight plans. The two old women next to me where chatty, particularly over my head with the flight attendant. I just wanted my headphones and the newspaper. Even the headphones didn't block them out, and by the time the plane landed I'd had enough of backwoods thoughts on international travel. I bolted for the door. I was at the rental car place in record time, but the guy in front of me decided to slow down and flirt with the lady behind the counter (oh, and she was not worth it) and then a "member" of the rental agency popped in asking questions and got dealt with before me. She says she gave me a snazzier car for the inconvenience, but what do I care for a Chrysler Sebring? Sooo, not worth it.

I got to a hotel where I can't close the curtains (!) and all restaurants within a mile are of the Taco Bell, McDonalds, variety. Yucksters! I managed to find a little Mexican place open until 10pm on a Sunday night (whew) so my client and I could grab a quick bite and strategize about the meeting ahead of us. Now I'm headed that way - hope you all had a lovely Sunday...

No comments: