Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The cost of free food.

I had a volunteer meeting tonight, for which I raced out of the office. Ok, I still left half an hour later than intended, but when my client told me, "I'll only keep you for half an hour more..." I told him he had 15 minutes. It was worth it when I made it in time to grab a pre-meeting beer with fellow volunteers. All that stress and hurry, however, to listen to a large man with a girlishly high-pitched voice talk for an hour in front of PowerPoint slides that were pictures of forms.

I wonder what folks would say if I just went for the pre-meeting beer and then skipped the meeting?

I didn't turn my phone ringer back on until I was home, so I missed the call that came in while chatting with the neighbor. An unfamiliar number greeted me, along with the voicemail, "hey, it's (stupid male), you gave me your number a week ago... what's up?" What's up is that more than a week ago I maybe thought you should call me, but more than a week later, I'm pretty sure I don't care. And don't any of you out there tell me to give him a chance, that I'm too hard on those poor men-folk. Every time I cave to someone else's "just give him a chance" urgings I regret it. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a call inside of a week. Also, I wasn't too sure I wanted to give him my digits in the first place - that's two times uncertain, and dating is not a three-strike ball game.

No comments: