Monday, February 15, 2010

When the milk runs out…

The government shut down last week for four days, and Friday it was a late start day – I (wisely) opted to stay home that day, as well. The snow two-fer succeeded in shutting down the city, making a mess of the roads, and shutting down supplies – grocery stores ran out of everything from milk and bread to condoms (no joke), and even my local pub had to stop serving food one afternoon.

Luckily, having been out of town for the three weeks prior and coming home to bare cupboards, I had stocked up – I had treats from Trader Joe’s, plenty of coffee and milk, and a cabinet full of red wine. Not to mention a five pound bag of potatoes, a bag of onions, and another full of oranges – proof that I should not be allowed in a grocery store without a list. In case you were wondering, it is possible to eat potatoes two ways in the same meal.

But what turned out to be the best thing on hand was something I’d gotten a month or more ago, and had been sitting in my fridge all along. Because after a tramp outside in the snow, or mid-afternoon when webmail has kicked you off again or yet another call gets dropped due to blizzard winds outside, nothing warms up a cuppa like a healthy dose of Irish crème.

So when the milk runs out, my coffee won’t have to go without.

No comments: