Wednesday, February 8, 2012

An anniversary...

A year ago today I was sitting in a brand new apartment, in a brand new town, in a brand new state, on a brand new side of the country.  I was surrounded by boxes, watching a hesitant cat make her way through the maze of packed stuff, and contemplating the possibilities of a carpeted floor.  Momola was sitting in the other chair, never stopping her tireless unpacking.  I was exhausted, from the drive, the hurried move, the prospect of a new adventure.

A year later, that cat loves the sunshine and the carpet.  I have houseplants, and a new Sunday brunch routine with a best friend instead of my brothers.

I'm headed back this week to visit DC, see the family, catch up with friends.  It was a happy accident that this trip coincides with this date.  I miss all the folks back east, but I've settled quite nicely into life out west, and I know I'll be happy to return home.