Thursday, August 25, 2011

An evolving relationship with transportation

In college, I drove a Honda Civic too fast, laughing with joy at the freedom my little Mephistopheles (Phil for short) afforded me.

In Boston, having passed Phil on to another young soul, I walked endless miles, and found constant entertainment on the T.  I broke my own rules (never run for public transportation) and learned to plead with my eyes for space in a crowd.

In DC, I learned how miserable and dirty public spaces can be - even if there are bans on food and drink to keep things clean.  I bought a new car, Iphegenia (Genie for short), and learned to view her as guaranteed personal space.

In California, with the sun shining and windows open, having learned the route home that involves the least time stopped at lights, and with the satellite radio tuned to baseball games, my car has become a place of calm and recovery.  A moving meditation, if you will.

Tomorrow, I'd better remember to buy my meditation space some gas.

No comments: